Any male with prostate symptoms should initially attend their GP. The GP will examine the prostate (a DRE – digital rectal examination) and after counselling may suggest a prostate blood test, (PSA – prostate specific antigen), that can help in making a diagnosis.

PSA – prostate specific antigen is a protein produced only by the prostate gland. It can be measured via a blood test. The normal level for PSA depends upon your age. The PSA level can be raised due to different disorders of the prostate, including prostate cancer.

If the DRE or PSA is abnormal, your GP will refer you to a specialist (a consultant urologist) for a prostate biopsy.

Stay Connected...

Subscribe to our Newsletter
Prostate Cymru